Click on a link below to enter a search engine site. Remember to visit NC Wise Owl and Destiny first.
At school, students learned what to do when they come across something inappropriate while doing research online. It will happen and kids need to know how to handle it. Some tips:
- Read the black text first before clicking on a link.
- Get a grownup.
- Exit the window.
- Click the back button on the web browser.
Tips for Parents and Teachers:
- Always use NC WiseOwl and Desitny’s WebPath Express before using any other sites.
- Remember to show and explain to the students how to use each site. Some may be difficult to navigate. Each site is a little different and can also contain links from sponsors and advertisers that are inappropriate for students.
- Teach students to read the web address and the description below each web address. It often gives students a clue as to whether or not the link will send them to information they might need.
- Students should be constantly monitored when using search engines other than NCWiseOwl and WebPath Express. Teachers should circulate around students and assist in research.
- Familiarize yourself with the NETS way of searching. This link gives some tips to help you search more easily. You can share these tips with your students.
- Other search tips include:
- Put Quotes around phrases to find all words
- Use the – symbol to remove words from your search
- When you aren’t sure which word to search, you can use a tilde symbol (~) in front of a word. This will tell the search engine to look for synonyms of the word you enter.
- Put the word OR in all caps between words when you would like it to look for either term.
- If you want to search a particular website, like cnn.com you would enter the word site followed by a colon and a space. i.e. site: www.cnn.com Haiti orphanages